When you update your kitchen, you are often looking to add both value and functionality to your home. One of the best ways to do this, especially if a full renovation is not part of your plans, is to incorporate a new kitchen island into your design. Kitchen islands can not only be a pleasing social addition to your home, as family and friends are often drawn to these beautiful centerpieces, but they can also add more space to your kitchen overall. Kitchen islands can be used for storage of items that have been formerly cluttering your counters, like a microwave, and could also be the perfect spot for the prep sink you have always wanted, a second stovetop, or a garbage disposal.
Here are a few popular island design trends you will see popping up in kitchens everywhere this year.
1. Waterfall islands—These sleek, modern islands have risen in popularity over the past few years. These islands feature a base cabinet with a solid piece of stone that runs from the top of the island to the floor.
2. Islands with different heights—These islands are functional with added aesthetic interest. Generally, one area is used as prep space and the higher space is accompanied by bar stools for extra diner seating.
3. Side storage—More islands in kitchens today are multi-functional. Instead of having cupboard space on all sides of the island, one popular trend involves incorporating side storage on one side of the island with seating and a sink on the other.
4. Painted islands—Add interest to your kitchen by painting your island a bright color, like blue or red, or a complementary hue that goes with the rest of your cabinetry. Or you could choose a color completely different from your current cabinetry for some interesting contrast, like a pop of soft blue amongst all white.
5. Double islands—With two kitchen islands, you get more of a good thing. If you have a larger kitchen, putting in two islands is an ideal way to increase the functionality of this space while creating visual interest.